Setting Up Foundations
Letter to Your Client Giving Them a Foundation at NHF
(Put on Your Letterhead)
John A. and Mary B. McClient
100 Main Street
Any town, USA
Dear John and Mary:
I am delighted you have chosen my firm as your financial advisor. What
I am going to give you by means of this letter and the accompanying
application is not just a bonus of our relationship, but what I hope
will become an integral part of your financial plan and financial system:
a repository for your Philanthropic Wealth.
As you become more successful financially, you will want to pay
increasing attention to Philanthropy. Of course I believe that giving
is for everyone, but I believe that as we prosper we have even more
responsibility to share that prosperity with our children and with others
in the community. And I would hope that you too would agree with that.
So, by this application I am giving you YOUR OWN FOUNDATION. It
will operate on your behalf and at your behest under the supervision of
the National Heritage Foundation, headquartered in the Washington
Metropolitan area. You can have a closer look at them by pulling up their
"Foundation Training Center" at www.nhf.org.
Or you can call their staff with questions at (800) 986-4483. Here are
some of the reasons why I am recommending this.
- It’s Your Own Foundation- Your name; your ideas will go on
forever. If you like, we can set up a foundation for each of you,
because we frequently find that husband and wife disagree on charitable
priorities. Let us know if you need a separate application.
- It’s nearly Free- I am in a relationship with NHF so that the
application fee for you cost only $100. You will get a Walnut Plaque,
three books, and a parchment certificate from them.
- It’s Tax-wise – All Gifts are fully Tax Deductible. All
contributions you make, of cash, stock, tangible property, real estate
are fully deductible, as well as contributions from friends, relatives
and other people to your Foundation.
- Deferred Gifts may be deductible too- Gifts Annuities,
Charitable Trusts, Life Insurance- we can help you create these
instruments-are also tax deductible.
- It can Employ You- You might someday work for your foundation.
Then of course you have only REPOSITIONED your wealth from Personal
Wealth to Philanthropic Wealth, and you can be compensated taxable
income for bona fide charitable work that you do with NHF’s approval.
- It can make gifts anywhere in the world- You may through the
foundation make gifts to charitable projects in other countries through
your foundation that you could not deduct if you made directly.
- It can make your current giving "come alive"- NHF will
prepare letterhead and if requested "foundation profiles"-no
charge. You may even have the checks they write sent to you so that you
can give them out personally.
- It cost very little The changes are very small. There is a
one-time Marketing Charge on each incoming gift of 2 and ½%, and on
small balances, no Management Fee at all. When your balance grows above
$10,000 you make have your own portfolio under our supervision, and they
will charge ½% per quarter. These charges are negotiable on larger
- Your heirs may someday work for the foundation- what a thrill to
contemplate that your great grandchildren yet unborn may actually work
for the foundation and know your name and ideas intimately.
- You may touch activities INSIDE a charity- Many people with
charities on their hearts enjoy the ability with a foundation to assist
just a part of the charity’s program, such as Chemistry or Tennis
Scholarships at a college, or the Bell Choir at a church.
- You can change your mind anytime- NHF permits you to add,
delete, and make changes in your charitable scope of work anytime you
choose. Simply send the new instructions in and they will guide the
- You may become independent of NHF- if at anytime you feel that
you no longer need or desire your foundation, you may have the assets
transferred to any other pubic charity.
I have enclosed an application with instructions for filling it out. Each
application should be returned to me with at least a $100 application
fee. Remember that this foundation is not just a nice gift from me to you.
This foundation is an integral part of your financial plan and fits
into the things we can do together in the future.
Best personal regards.
is a public charitable organization formed
- To stimulate philanthropy all over the globe
- It is a "people to people" program rather
than "government to people"
- It is currently one of the largest foundations in
- Operating thousands of projects, called
"foundations at NHF"
- Was awarded the CHAMPION OF INDUSTRY AWARD and
featured on Fox TV, and
- Was the cover story of a recent issue of THE
FINANCIAL SERVICES ADVISOR magazine.
THE PROBLEM IS RECOGNIZED
AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL
Speech by President George W. Bush
"All of us can become a September 11 Volunteer by making a
commitment to serve in our communities…
… By tutoring or mentoring a child
… By comforting the afflicted
… By housing those in need of shelter"
Speech by former President John F.
"Ask not what your country can do for you.
ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY"
HERITAGE FOUNDATION NHF
- Is the tax exempt parent and legal owner of all gifts
- Receipts gifts and administers all disbursements to
ensure legitimate use of funds as the donor may direct
- Provides on-line reporting both at the company level
and to each individual employee
- Does not usually manage investments, but may select a
competent fund manager
- NHF’s principle focus is on the burgeoning field of
Charitable Entrepreneurship aimed at employing the donor either as a
volunteer or as a an employee receiving taxable income for program
ACCESS TO NATIONAL HERITAGE NETWORK
- Any "foundation at NHF" can make its needs
known to the NHF family of foundations.
Also, a "foundation at NHF" can encourage any
person, especially a member of the financial community to raise additional
funds for his or her project ideas on a results-compensation basis.